So I woke up today with a strange feeling of hope; hope that the tide is shifting; hope that the conversation is taking a new shape. Hope in the face of setbacks like a female attorney who bows to the will of her client, by wearing a burqa; a client, who if he had his way, would have prevented her from becoming an attorney in the first place and who would strip her of her freedom to practice law and even from leaving her home unaccompanied if given the opportunity. Setbacks like the state of North Carolina passing an amendment that robs fellow Americans/humans of enjoying the same privilege to marry their beloveds and not to be alone, that is why God designed marriage, remember? It is not good for us to be alone, we need someone who is a perfect fit for us.
But like I said, I am feeling hopeful today. Why?
1. The existence of Kent Krabill; Proof that God loves me.
2. The existence of my children who live and breathe and change the world with their love.
3. The existence of Novitas (aka the island of misfit toys) who continually challenge me to love more and judge less.
4. The existence of the countless new friends I am discovering daily.
5. The existence of inspiration. I finally feel like I am learning who I always was.
6. The existence of the Holy Spirit who continues to lead me into the truth and to change me.
7. The existence of the amazing Rachel Held Evans (who inspires me over and over) and her new article.
8. The existence of Justin Lee and his 30 confessions.
9. The existence of magical moments. I mean did you see Josh Hamilton hit 4 home runs in one game? Have you been to Disney World?
10. The existence of Sixty Percent and people who write such things.
11. The existence of Kathy Escobar and The Refuge, Alise Wright, Amanda Miller Garber and RISE church and Pam Hogeweide and all the other UNladylike women of the church.
12. The existence of Brian McLaren, Wade Burleson, Rob Bell, Jay Bakker, my husband and every other men who supports the UNladylike women of the church.
13. The existence of Bert & Evelyn Waggoner and the influence he had on my life and the seeds of change planted in Kent and I at the Sugarland Vineyard.
14. The existence of Derek Watson who set in motion the tectonic plates of our lives.
15. The existence of Laurie Watson and the work she does as a sex therapist who happens to be a follower of Christ.
16. The existence of the parents I know who are trying to teach their kids to love people, all people.
17. The existence of a shift that has begun in our country and the church toward freedom, equality and acceptance.
18. The existence of people who fight for these things every day.
19. The existence of groups like Christians for Biblical Equality.
20. The existence of the Marin Foundation.
21. The existence of common ground: President Obama and Vice President Chaney both support gay marriage.
22. The existence of Matthew Vines.
23. The existence of people who refuse to stop loving or believing better of people; even the ones who disagree with them.
24. The existence of my parents and grandparents and all the people who have helped to make me who I am.
25. The existence of art, music and poetry.
26. The existence of my God who never stops loving, never stops pursuing, who will one day make EVERYTHING right, who loves all and gives everything to bring his children home to him.
27. The existence of…YOU. YOUR EXISTENCE GIVES ME HOPE