I have had this meme or one very much like it in my feed a lot over the years. It always leaves me with a few questions.
- You are a kid who is being bullied?
- You are a woman who has had acid thrown in her face?
- Your spouse/child just committed suicide?
- You are a victim of domestic violence?
- You are currently being raped?
- You are gay and your parents threw you out of the house and now you’re 15 and homeless?
- You just buried your child?
- You have been forced into sexual (or some other form of) slavery?
- You are currently on the lethal injection table about to be executed for a crime you didn’t commit?
- You were a Jew who was incinerated in an oven at Auschwitz?
- You are a young girl who is having her genitals mutilated?
- You are a child who has been abandoned? or beaten? or sexually abused?
I find it ironic that this type of meme is meant to be a comfort to people. How is it comforting to place my trust in a God who has put me in such horrific and terrifying situations on purpose just so he can come to my rescue or teach me a lesson? I would never treat my children that way and if I did I would be convicted of child abuse.
I refuse to believe in or worship that God. That God is a monster.