RSS Feed

How Many?

Yesterday I posted a shocking statistic as my Facebook status. Since the Sandy Hook shooting there have been 74 school shootings. 74. Seventy-four.  That averages out to about one a week. And those are just the school shootings. We are currently on target for gun deaths to overtake automobile accidents as the leading cause of death for people between the ages of 15-24 in 2015. WTF people? Seriously? How are we not outraged as a society? Why do we continue to elect people who show no signs of doing anything about it As President Obama said yesterday, “We’re the only developed country on earth where this happens. And it happens now once a week. And it—it’s a one-day story. There’s no place else like this,” and, “Our levels of gun violence are off the charts. There’s no advanced, developed country on earth that would put up with this.”

SO WHY DO WE?

As I raised this question yesterday, people asked what I propose we do about all the mass shootings. Here is my list:

We are the only country in the developed world where this is tolerated or accepted. In fact the U.S. leads the developed world in gun ownership, 88 guns for every 100 people (yes you read that right) as well as 10 gun related deaths per 100,000 people. Just to compare, Switzerland was second to us with 45.7 guns per 100 people and 3.84 gun related deaths per 100,000 people. Japan was lowest with .6 guns per 100 people and .06 gun related deaths per 100,000 people. To be quite blunt, we can do better.

My question is when will we demand our legislators do something? How many people are too many? How many kids? As Bob Dylan said, “The answer my friend is blowin’ in the wind. The answer is blowin’ in the wind.”

For those who think that perhaps the answer is the blurring of the lines between church and state as some of my friends have suggested. I humbly submit a post I wrote a while back called, The Bible Trumps the Law of The United States? I originally wrote this piece as it related to marriage equality, however I think it applies here as well.

Related articles:

Behind the Bloodshed

Analysis of Recent Mass Shootings

A Guide to Mass Shootings in America

Editorial: Australia’s sensible gun control rules were worth the fight

When We Worship The God of Fear (the idolatry of gun culture)

About these ads

About word of a woman

Woman Wife Mother Partner Daughter Equal Friend Designer Speaker Thinker...Writer

12 responses »

1. Corbin is 12 and enjoys hunting and target shooting. Your provisions would disallow this. Why should he be restricted when he knows gun safety and practices it with no signs of mental illness.

2. “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”tj (Quoting Cesare Beccaria)

3. Jordan, what suggested restriction would prohibit your 12 year old from hunting and target shooting?

4. 74 school shootings is a woefully inaccurate and inflated number coming from EveryTown (an organization that is vehemently anti 2nd Amendment mind you). Try doing a little research before regurgitating their ignorance on the interwebz.

5. There are age restrictions on owning firearms. There are also background checks regarding mental illness and domestic violence. It is impossible to legally purchase an automatic weapon without government approval. Semi-automatic weapons should not be more restricted than revolvers or other firearms. One can reload any firearm quickly if one is well-trained. By your logic we should put a higher restriction on hammers because they were used as must weapon more often than rifles.

Which leads me to the conclusion that you really no little to nothing about firearms, but ada regurgitating what you have read on other sites. Do yourself a favor and do your own research. And don’t believe everything you read.

6. There actually have been 74 school shootings, as the link set forth above in the blog clearly and expressly demonstrates. Nobody alleged they were all just like Sandy Hook. Indeed, the article above links to the data, which expressly states that it includes fatal and nonfatal assaults, suicides, and unintentional shootings. There is nothing misleading.

Remarkably, there have been 15 incidents similar to the Oregon shooting! This should be startling to us as a nation. Instead, we seem only concerned with concepts of radical individualism. The second amendment is important. Nothing in this blog post argues otherwise. It simply advocates for reasonable regulations, many of which are already in place in cities and states throughout this country.

7. 1. I am not advocating banning all guns. I never said any such thing. Right now gun laws vary from state to state and even town to town. I, and others like me, are simply advocating for reasonable national gun safety laws.
    2. I am aware that cars (drugs, alcohol, etc) all also kill people. To suggest that drugs kill more people so we should concentrate on drugs is like saying donuts make more people fat than candy bars so I should concentrate on donuts and ignore candy as an issue if I am trying to lose weight. Sorry, we need to address both.
    3. This also goes for mental health. People are quick to point out most if not all mass shooters are being treated for depression or some other mental health issue. How does this mean we shouldn’t have reasonable safety laws when it comes to firearms? Shouldn’t we go at it from every angle? As I mentioned above, gun violence is set to overtake automobile accidents as the number one killer of our young people! How are so many people okay with that?
    We must look at every angle we can to change this including the way we treat mental health issues and reasonable NATIONAL gun safety laws.

• Your not advocating banning all guns? Which ones do you advocate banning because they all fire bullets.

Whats your idea of reasonable gun laws and please tell me how they would of prevented any of the school shootings, Chicago gang banger shootings, NY city shootings or other shootings you can think of? Just a fact both of these citys have the strictest gun laws in the nation by far.

• She said nothing about banning all guns. Why can’t you understand her well-written comment? She did not say anything about banning guns or taking them away! I get sick and tired of people putting words in other people’s mouths. If you’re the law-abiding gun owner that you say you are, you should not be afraid of a few reasonable restrictions – which are NOT the same thing as banning guns or taking them away! I know that if I wanted to buy a gun, I could easily pass a background check and I would have no problem registering it and insuring it, just like I do with my car. We all do this with our cars, but nobody accuses anyone of coming to take our cars away. Stop accusing people of saying that about guns!